1 and 1 Shared Hosting Reviews
1&1 Internet began as a small German company in 1988, founded by Ralph Dommermuth. It took over T-Online’s marketing activities, which was a T-Com service that was run online. 1&1 expanded into the UK in 2000 offering its hosting service internationally. It quickly established itself as a leading web host provider to private users and small to medium sized business. In 2003, it further expanded web hosting service to the U.S.A. The company offers a broad range of hosting solutions, including shared hosting, Microsoft SharePoint hosting, Ecommerce hosting, virtual private servers (VPS), dedicated servers, dynamic cloud hosting, domain name registration and its own proprietary website building tool called “1&1 Website Builder” that has mobile features and analytics.
Over 5,400 employees work for 1&1 in thirteen data center and office locations. Simon Yeoman currently represents operations in the UK as General Manager. Robert Hoffman is the CEO operating from Germany. The company serves more than 11 million customers and has 19 million websites and domain names on 70,000 servers housed in five different data centers located in the United States and Europe that provide geographical diversity, unprecedented uptime, and 300 Gbps connectivity. Redundancy features include cooling systems, gel battery power banks, backup generators, dual routers and multiple hard drives. Their security system includes monitoring by on-site staff on a 24/7 basis, with surveillance cameras always on, restricted entry and safety locks. The company is committed to using eco-friendly hardware and equipment. Its Kansas data center has earned them recognition as a Green Power Partner from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the United States.
1 and 1 Shared Hosting Plans
Some pricing plans from 1&1 offer a choice of service based on your actual hosting needs. A starter package is a basic service with 10GB of space that is suitable for a small blog or landing page. The unlimited plans offer a larger allowance of storage, traffic, and MySQL databases for more heavily visited web pages. All plans are discounted for the first 12 months, with the exception of the starter plan that remains the same cost always.
|Starter||Unlimited||Unlimited Plus||Unlimited Pro|
|12 Month Cost||$2.99||$0.99||$4.99||$6.99|
1 and 1 WordPress Hosting Plans
|12 month price||$2.99||$0.99||$4.99||$6.99|
The following features apply to all plans:
- Introductory 12-month price. The starter plan will remain at $2.99 a month, after 12 months all other plans will incur the usual monthly fee listed in the table above.
- SSD storage for secure, reliable data storage that is managed and backed up.
- Simple DNS management in the 1&1 control panel for easy registration and transfer of your domains.
- Google Sitemap integration for instant optimization and indexing of website pages.
- 24/7 customer support. Available by phone and email.
- Drupal, Joomla and WordPress 1 click install for quick CMS setup.
- CDN. The Content Delivery Network allows localized delivery of content from over 62 data centers worldwide. Content is served from a server closest to the location for optimal speed for your visitors. The CDN is available on the Pro Plan.
- PhP7. With PhP high speed caching your website runs twice as fast compared to older PHP versions. You can read more about PHP7 here.
- NGINX. Security is kept in mind for all users. The NGINX service protects users against DDOS attacks and retains high-performance durability.
Two additional add-ons are available for premium service.
Sitelock is a complete security tool that scans and monitors vulnerabilities and potential threats in your website apps and SQL databases. It is available as an add-on for a small monthly fee. The features and benefits it provides are outlined in the price plan below.
|Sitelock basic $0.99 a month||Sitelock Premium $4.99 a month|
|Daily Malware Scan||Yes||Yes|
|Search Engine Blacklist||Yes||Yes|
|Website App Scan||1 per month||Yes|
|SQL Injection Scan||1 per month||Yes|
|Cross Site Scripts XSS||1 per month||Yes|
|File change monitoring||No||Yes|
|Number of pages||25||500|
1and1 E-Commerce Site Builder
The site builder makes it easier for all users to create an online store quickly and is fully PCI compliant. A choice of 100 templates allows diverse design, as well as Facebook and email list integration. The builder costs $9.99 a month for the first 12 months and $14.99 a month after that.
1 & 1 WordPress Hosting Feature:
A dedicated WordPress Hosting service offers the features shown here.
- Managed WordPress Solutions. The WordPress hosting service includes WP expert support, automatic security updates, and pre-installed plugin configuration
- Unlimited Traffic. All plans allow unlimited visitors each month no matter how big your community grows.
- Project Management. Allowing 1, 5, or unlimited WP projects on the Basic, Plus, and Unlimited plans respectively
- A Free domain. One free domain is provided on all hosting plans
- Generous SSD storage. Secure and reliable storage with backup is provided with 50GB space on the basic plan, 250GB on the Plus plan, and unlimited storage on the Unlimited plan.
In addition to providing Linux based hosting solutions, 1and1 also offer Windows Hosting. The features of this service are outlined below.
1and1 Windows Hosting
The pricing plan for Windows Hosting is the same as the Linux hosting, and WordPress Hosting plans shown above. The 12-month introductory price also applies to Windows Hosting.
- 1 Free domain is included for all users.
- 2GB Email Storage on the Unlimited plan, with unlimited space for the Plus and Pro plans.
- Unlimited storage space for all plans.
- 100 email accounts on the Unlimited plan, and an unlimited amount for Plus and Pro plans.
- Content Delivery Network for Plus and Pro plan users, plus 2GB RAM for the Pro plan.
- 24/7 U.S based phone and email support.
- Sitelock Basic service is included in both the Plus and Pro plans, with an SSL certificate included in the Pro plan.
While the performance and stability of 1and1 hosting seem to be of good standard, the major issue of several complaints is with the poor customer service provided.
The support team stay active on Twitter and do respond to some users. However, the issues with customer service seem unresolved, and this raises some concern about the level of support provided to clients.
The majority of complaints lodged against 1and1 Internet regard billing, with 384 complaints received by the Better Business Bureau. Of these, 254 complaints were resolved to the customer’s satisfaction, 419 total complaints about customer service and payment collection remain unresolved.
Is the Hosting Worth the Money?
The range of hosting plans on offer certainly provides a good choice of features for the basic blogger or freelance entrepreneur, and some features offer some attractive benefits to the small business owner. The introductory offer can seem like a bargain but the usual monthly cost after 12 months is an average cost of web hosting with moderate extras thrown in. If after sales service is important to you, or you are looking for good customer support, it is perhaps not the most valuable or worthwhile hosting service available.
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
1and1 provide a 30 day trial with a money back guarantee. If you are not completely happy, you can request a refund within 30 days by calling the helpline. Domain registration fees and Dynamic cloud server costs are not refundable. With the amount of complaints and poor customer service, it is advised to check the terms and conditions of your hosting service careful to take note of cancelation or renewal policies.
Our 1&1 Review Final Thoughts
While there are a few issues with very poor customer service, the choice of hosting packages and good introductory offers for 12 months is a reasonable offering. The range of hosting services scales upward quite well, so it allows upgrades to unlimited service as your website grows. For reliability and stability for your website, it is worth the monthly cost, the features included in Pro or Advanced packs offer a little more value but nothing groundbreaking. Good for performance, bad for customer service.
1and1 Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of basic hosting do 1and1 provide?
They provide a basic hosting package for Linux, Windows or WordPress hosting that adapts to the needs of the basic user looking to start a cheap web presence. More advanced packages are also provided that grow as your website grows in demand, and these are easy to upgrade to at any time to receive unlimited space, email accounts, bandwidth, and premium and advanced tools designed for the more professional web presence.
Do They Offer Windows Hosting Plans?
Yes, in addition to Linux hosting, a Windows hosting plan is available under the same introductory price plan for Linux starter, basic, plus, and unlimited plans.
Will the price go up when I renew my hosting?
The first 12 months are an introductory offer. After the first 12 months, your plan will be billed at the normal monthly rates listed in the plans shown above, and thus the price increases at this stage, and will remain at the stated monthly fee indefinitely. The starter package will not increase after 12 months and remains at $2.99 a month.
Do I get a free domain?
Yes, all hosting and WordPress plans include one free domain name registration.
Do they backup your website \ account?
A daily backup service is provided for all plans.
How many email accounts can I create?
Starter accounts can create up to 10 email accounts. The unlimited Plus and Pro plans allow unlimited email accounts, as many as you wish.
Are Python and Ruby on Rails supported?
Yes, 1and1 fully support PHP7, Perl, Python and Ruby tools in all hosting plans.
Where are 1and1 located?
1and1 Internet operates from Germany in Europe and also has major international centers in London, UK, and the USA. They use two separate data centers based in the U.S.A to host customer data, and also use a Content Delivery Network of 62 centers so that speed and reliability are optimal wherever you are located in the world.