Arvixe Reviews – Shared Hosting
Arvixe has been around for around 11 years now and has steadily become a recognizable name in the web hosting industry. It is independently owned, unlike some other major brands, so you get little more attention to detail given an overall great hosting experience.
When we first carried out our Arvixe Review we had an open mind as to what they may be like, but we did suspect from the buzz around the internet via other Arvixe Reviews and forum posts that they would be good. This was confirmed as soon as we uploaded our test WordPress site when we instantly knew that these guys knew what they were doing with the speed performance being much greater than many of the well-known brands. Arvixe is one of the few of our favorite hosting providers that offer Windows Hosting (only really needed if you want to use ASP.net). As well as reading our editorial review below, you should check out the User Arvixe Reviews at the end of this page.
About the CEO – Arvand Sabetian
While we do not usually go into much detail about the CEO of various hosting companies, there is quite an interesting story about Arvand Sabetian and how Arvixe went from a small company created in his junior year of high school to a company hosting over 200,000 websites. This led to him being named to the Class of 2013 Under 30, Inc. 500’s List of Young Entrepreneurs. 2012 saw Arvixe with a revenue of about $8 million, and 2013 around $12 million. That represents phenomenal growth, even more impressive when Arvand indicates that 30-50% of new business is based on referrals.
In 2010, Kevin Bromber, Executive Vice President of French software company Avanquest, took a 50% stake in Arvixe. Bromber commented:
One of my biggest concerns initially was that he didn’t have a headquarters […] Now I’m able to look at this organization and know that it’s 100 percent virtual and it’s absolutely amazing how efficiently it runs. The back-end infrastructure is really impressive. There’s not a person who sees it that isn’t impressed.
This comment raises some insightful information about how Arvixe is run. All Arvixe staff is remotely based. Because of the lower operating costs, those savings enable Arvixe to offer incredibly low priced hosting without compromising on performance.
EIG Bought Arvixe October 2014
In October 2014, EIG bought Arvixe from Arvand Sabetian and Avanquest (who owned it jointly). It remains to be seen what effect this may have on the company, but it is likely that in the short term things will continue as normal. However, we will be watching closely as things unfold as EIG has in some acquisitions been criticized for falling standards. For the time being this acquisition will not alter our opinion in this Arvixe Review, and you will probably want to bear in mind that the user-written Arvixe Reviews left on our site before October do not take this into account.
Arvixe Shared Hosting Plans
Arvixe offers many different packages, including Business Hosting, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated hosting. For the purpose of this Arvixe review, however, we are focusing on their shared hosting Personal Class plans. You have a choice between “Personal Class” and “Personal Class Pro”. These are identical save for the number of domains allowed on each plan. If you only need to host six domains or less the Personal Class plan is sufficient. There are no other differences between the plans that we can see.
The plans are pretty comprehensive in that they support cPanel, and all the usual features you will find on a cPanel host. Also, you will have access to Softaculous, Cloudflare one click installer, Ruby on Rails as well as R1Soft backups (last two days two weeks backups available for instant restore).
Regarding hardware, both plans include Raid 10 SSD Drives for database queries (this is where 4 SSD drives are mounted together, 2 of which act in parallel for increased speed and 2 act as a backup to allow for continuation should any drive fail), as well Firewall for security and DDoS Attack response. This makes dynamically driven sites much faster.
Arvixe Control Panel
We are very pleased to note that Arvixe uses the standard cPanel for their control panel. Not only does this make it extremely easy to move host should you ever need to, but as one of the most popular control panels around you will hopefully find it very familiar. Unlike some other major brands they have not customized the look of the cPanel (or functionality) so you should be able to find everything you want very quickly, and any tutorials you view will be instantly familiar.
Apart from the standard apps and utilities, you will see a section for SiteApps (one click solutions to expand the functionality of any website i.e. social sharing) and SEO & Marketing Tools. At the bottom, there are icons for quick access to Arvixe site, billing, and support, as well as some usage statistics.
You can take a full view of the Control Panel by clicking on the image to the right.
Arvixe had around 90 employees by the latter half of 2013, all of which work remotely.
In our Arvixe Review, we tested their support on multiple occasions, including one where we raised a simple query relating to DNS propagation time Nameservers. It took around 2 hours to get a response, with follow-up questions being dealt with within about 20-30 minutes. Of course, we could have had an instant response by chatting to them on live chat or telephone. For international customers, note that their Skype name is “Arvixe” in case you wish to avoid any telephone charges.
When you create a support ticket, they will send you a link that then asks you to fine tune the relevant topic for the support query. This is to ensure that the right support specialists get the most appropriate questions. This is an excellent idea, showed by a knowledgeable technician was able to deal with our query quickly and effectively. We would much rather wait a little longer for someone to fix the solution rather than get a response from someone who is clueless, so Arvixe ticks those boxes quite nicely.
Arvixe does not offer any features that make you go “wow”, or anything unique, with perhaps the exception of SSD hosting. They do however keep up with latest developments offering Clef Two-Factor Authentication with new WordPress installs as standard, as well as some pretty significant tie-ups for Image Hosting. We guess what they focus on is doing “ALL” the basics extremely well. Unlike other hosts, they offer Windows hosting as well as Linux hosting (we advise using Linux hosting unless you need ASP), Ruby on the Rails as well as an excellent upgrade path with their Business Hosting or VPS hosting.
Of course, some features we should highlight are:
- RVSiteBuilder – Nice easy site builder to get you started.
- Cloudflare CDN-ready
- Softaculous Script Installer – Install all the standard software such as WordPress quickly
- Free Cheverato Image Hosting Script – See this post for more information about this offer, and Chevereto.
- Attacta SEO ready – Always useful to get some extra insights into your site.
- Siteapps – One click apps to increase the functionality of your site quickly (social shares and other neat things)
- Daily Backups –
- Ruby on Rails
- Choice of PHP
- Git preinstalled – Something for the developers
- Free domain for life (rather than for just the first year)
- Relatively generous 60-day money back guarantee
To understand why Arvixe Uptime is so good, you need to know about their data center partner – Softlayer. Softlayer, acquired by IBM in July 2013, provides data center services in multiple locations around the world.
We could not see any advertised uptime figures on the Arvixe site, although they do offer a 99.9% uptime guarantee and you get 60 days to try them out. Unfortunately, as this is a fairly new Arvixe review we have not yet got any of our own uptime figures (from our own tracking of sites known to exist on their Servers) available for Arvixe. However, our overall impressions from our research are that they do not have any significant problems with downtime, and indeed, this is pretty much confirmed by our readers Arvixe Reviews at the bottom of this page. We will, of course, monitor them and let you know if our opinions change.
The Speed Test
Even if you do not want to spend much money on a web host, you still want it to be fast. We gave Arvixe a spin with a standard theme we got off Themeforest which while a little bloated it does provide a good test to gauge the speed of the server as it includes include PHP stylesheets that can be notoriously slow to load. We optimized the site using the W3 Total Cache as well as CloudFlare. This theme is specially built to show a vast difference between hosts so the load time will always be higher than your typical site. If you were to put this site (Best Host News) on Arvixe server, we would imagine the load time would be at around the half second mark, which indicates how pleased we are with this test result. If you look at http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/exQBMk/http://arvixe.besthostnews.com on the “waterfall” tab that most assets load extremely fast. It falls on the dynamically loaded stylesheets a little, but many themes would not use these, and you would need some kind of dynamic caching for this in any event.
Value – Is Arvixe worth the money?
Arvixe has just two plans, with the only difference being the number of domains you can have on the account. For just $4.00 per month if you sign up for two years for up to 6 domains this represents incredible value. What’s more, that is before you even apply a coupon, and we have some great exclusive offers on that front too. At the moment, you can choose between a one-off discount of up to 30 percent or a lifetime discount of 10 percent. If you check out our readers Arvixe Reviews, you will find this is frequently mentioned as one of the things people love about Arvixe.
Unlike other hosts that will charge $50 of more for an SSL certificate, Arvixe costs just $25 per year, and a dedicated IP is just $2 per month, so again there will be no hidden surprises there. Their domain prices at $9.95 are pretty awesome too!
Arvixe Reviews – Summary
- Great price – These guys have to be one of our favorite budget hosting providers. SSD hosting and great performance for $2.80 per month (with our Arvixe Coupons)? We’ll have some of that thank you!
- 60 Day Money Back Guarantee – Allows you to try them thoroughly out risk-free.
- A particular drive to do better – Arvixe have shown superior business acumen and a clear drive with over a decade of success.
- Great reputation – Arvixe has garnered a great reputation over the last 11 years since their creation.
- SSD Storage for MySQL – As a budget host they have shown a great choice by balancing speed with functionality with their storage configuration. By using traditional storage for files, along with SSD for Databases you get the best of both worlds. Large amounts of storage, with increased speed for Database driven sites such as WordPress.
- Generous Resource Allocation – While Unlimited Hosting is not unlimited (i.e. check the Terms and Conditions), Arvixe has one of the largest resource allocations for a budget host. They allow up to 2GB RAM (most hosts have this at 1GB), and 700 CPU seconds, as well as 500 physical processes (most have this at 25 or 50).
- Cloudflare integration – Our favorite and free CDN that significantly boosts the speed of your site.
- Cloud Linux – Cloud Linux is quickly becoming the industry standard for isolating accounts from each other for maximum security, as well as isolating resource usage. This means no one user can hog all the resources, or infect other hosting accounts on the same server if they get hacked.
- cPanel – This is our favorite control panel for hosting. It is incredibly easy to use, and full backups can easily be made for offline storage that includes all settings including email, crons, etc. It also makes transferring to and from different hosting providers incredibly easy.
- Free domain – This is for life, not just the first year of your account.
- Nothing that stands out – Don’t worry, though… we have only recently started monitoring this host. We will find some niggling issues soon enough!
Arvixe Review Final Thoughts
Before EIG purchased Arvixe last year, they were one of our Recommended hosting providers. Unfortunately, we are seeing increasing complaints (about Support times, and down times) which have caused us to reconsider this status. We recommend reading the latest user reviews below and coming to your own conclusion.
For the time being, we have removed Arvixe as one of our recommended hosting providers.