Our Eleven2 Shared Hosting Review
Eleven2 was founded in 2003 and has its headquarters in Texas, US. Eleven2 offers all the main types of hosting (shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated), although it primarily focuses on shared and VPS hosting and hosts over 150 thousand websites.
Eleven2 was started by two designers after brainstorming on napkins in a Starbucks coffee shop, however, was apparently sold to IHNetworks in 2012 which was kept relatively quiet until fairly recently (November 2014).
Eleven2 offers shared hosting in the US (Los Angeles & Dallas), EU (Amsterdam) and Asia (Singapore), with VPS hosting being provided in the US & EU locations. Also, they have recently launched new SSD Hosting, which is based in the USA (more locations reportedly coming soon).
Shared Hosting Plans
Packages can be purchased both monthly or on a 1, 2 or 3-yearly basis, and with our Eleven2 coupons, it opens up for some significant savings. The table below shows the main features for the standard shared hosting (i.e. not SSD):
|S-100||10 GB||50 GB||Unlimited||No||No||$2.98|
|S-200||250 GB||20 TB||Unlimited||No||No||$5|
|S-300||500 GB||40 TB||Unlimited||No||No||$10|
SSD Hosting Plans
If you want greater performance out of your hosting and don’t quite need as much disk space, then we recommend choosing their SSD Hosting. You can read more about the technologies they use in this detailed post.
You would be mad to choose their regular hosting over this.
|SSD-100||1 GB||50 GB||Unlimited||No||No||$2.98|
|SSD-200||100 GB||20 TB||Unlimited||No||No||$5|
|SSD-300||200 GB||40 TB||Unlimited||No||No||$10|
Features common to all the shared hosting plans are as follows:
- Unlimited Email
- Unlimited FTP
- Unlimited Parked Domains
- Unlimited Databases
- Daily Backups
- 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
- 24×7 Support
- e2Panel [cPanel]
Also, they offer the Softaculous one-click installer (our preferred installer) giving access to over 250 different scripts, including WordPress. They support Perl, Ruby on Rails, Python as well as the latest PHP5 version (you should check if they offer 5.6).
Support & Downtime
Full 24/7 service support is provided via ticket, live chat, and phone. They claim that the average response time is under 10 minutes which seems pretty good. It is unclear what their average resolution time is, though.
Having searched the various public forums, such as Webhostingtalk, we can see that the latter half of 2014 saw quite a few complaints. Their Support and Reseller Hosting being particularly criticized. Whatever issues that arose at that time seem to be now resolved, and we can see a significant reduction this year of the number of issues reported which looks good if you are considering Eleven2.
We think this is a very promising sign, as it is well known for even the best hosting providers to have issues from time to time and indeed there are a few recent issues mentioned on Twitter but nothing out of the ordinary for a host their size.
As we have mentioned briefly before, Eleven2 offer a 99.9% Uptime Guarantee. The policy states that for every hour of downtime that breaks the guarantee, you will be refunded one day of hosting as a refund. There are no published statistics on what the actual Uptime figures are.
What we like about Eleven2
- They have been around for a long time – They have been around for over ten years. These are people you can trust to be around for a long time to come and who have a vast amount of experience.
- CPanel – They use the standard cPanel, albeit re-styled and called their “e2Panel.” This has all the tools and features that make managing your site very easy, which you can read more about here. We always recommend cPanel as it makes it extremely easy to transfer your site from one host to another, and it is very easy to use. Eleven2 also has an E2 iPhone app to allow its customers to manage their account when mobile.
- Excellent customer support – Their support staff know what they are doing. We recently thought we would test out their knowledge via their online chat. We didn’t have to wait for more than a couple of minutes for a response, and posing as a potential customer, they were very quick to offer to help move our site across from our old host.
- 60 day trial period – You can try out Eleven2 with their 60 days no questions asked money back guarantee, although this does not apply to extras such as Domain fees or SSL certificates.
- CloudFlare – is integrated as standard to their cPanel to supercharge your website. If you follow our W3 Total Cache Settings with Cloudflare, you can be sure to significantly speed up your site.
- Community Contact – Eleven2 are active in the wider community, commenting and responding to any feedback on various forums (such as Webhostingtalk). They are quick to respond to any problems, and from what we have seen try extremely hard to ensure they have happy customers.
What we don’t like about Eleven2
- Upgrade path – While we love their Shared Hosting we feel that their VPS plans are a little overpriced compared to their competitors. If you are expecting to outgrow the standard shared plan, then you may need to take this into account.
- Dedicated IP SSL quite costly – We feel these services are a little overpriced, although their S-300 comes with these included. If you are looking for an e-commerce solution that requires an SSL (which in turn requires a dedicated IP), then you may wish to consider other solutions. $4 a month for a dedicated IP (which they will only issue if you have an SSL) double what most hosting providers charge.
Our Eleven2 Review Verdict
We like Eleven2 because of their high participation in the wider web hosting community, not only responding to forum threads about their service but trying to help people more generally.
The pricing for their shared hosting is great, especially with when using one of our special offers. That being said, our preference would be to push towards their new SSD web hosting.
One minor concern is that we have received a few negative user reviews more recently, but despite that we do not see from looking around the web that they have endemic issues relating to their hosting or quality of service. It is something we will be monitoring, though.
Eleven2 Frequently Asked Questions
Does Eleven2 Offer Linux and Windows Hosting Plans?
Eleven2 only offers Linux hosting at this time. It does not offer Windows Hosting.
Are there larger plans if I outgrow Shared Hosting?
Yes, they offer VPS Hosting plans with many more resources. After that, you can easily upgrade to a dedicated server.
Does Eleven2 offer a free domain?
No, Eleven2 does not offer a free domain with any of their web hosting plans.
Does Eleven2 offer domain registration services?
While you can buy a domain when you sign up for hosting, they do not readily advertise domain registration services. We suspect you would be better using a company such as Namecheap.
Does Eleven2 offer support by Live-chat? What other methods can I use to contact them?
Yes, they offer support via live-chat. Also, you can contact them via Telephone (US) or ticket.
What languages is support offered in?
Their support is based in the United States, and only communicates in English.
Where are their headquarters based?
They are based in Houston, Texas in the United States.
Where are their Data Centers located?
Their data centers are based in Dallas, London, and Singapore.
Will Eleven2 help migrate my websites?
Yes, providing your existing host uses cPanel then they will be more than happy to help migrate your site for you. If your existing site does not use cPanel or does not provide standard cPanel backups then they cannot help.
Does Eleven2 offer a free CDN (Content Distribution Network)?
Yes, you can easily configure CloudFlare to offer a CDN via the control panel.
Are there any limitations on the number of email accounts or emails I can send?
All shared hosting plans feature unlimited email accounts.
Are there any restrictions on what type of content I can host?
Yes, please see their full Acceptable Use Policy here. Please note in particular the limitations on usage of storage space (i.e. storage must be used in connection with your site and not for backups).
What is Eleven2’s backup policy?
The terms and conditions state you should keep your own backups notwithstanding that Eleven2 has agreed to do so. We recommend you never rely on your hosting providers backups, as many just do it as a courtesy which is not guaranteed.
Eleven2 do not indicate the frequency they carry out backups, just that they will hold multiple backup points of all your data.