GoDaddy WordPress Hosting Hangout – Product Launch Update

godaddy wordpress hosting

GoDaddy has recently launched their new WordPress Hosting Product via a Google Hangout, where they highlighted not only the current features, but also some of the features they are continuing to develop and introduce.

The hangout was held by Felix Gorodishter (Development Manager for WordPress initiatives), Kurt Payne (lead WordPress developer) and Dontay Baker (Product Manager for WordPress Initiatives).  You can see the full replay of the GoDaddy Google Hangout below:

In case you do not have time to sit through the whole video, we have highlighted the main points below.

Why Choose GoDaddy Managed WordPress Hosting?

• GoDaddy has a LOT of WordPress sites and a lot of experience in working with WordPress (1.94MM sites).
  • GoDaddy built the Managed WordPress platform to help alleviate pain points that they see users deal with every day
  • GoDaddy wants to allow you to focus on running  your business and not worrying about your server

What are the Managed WordPress basics?

Godaddy have created in their words “The simplest way for customers to use the fastest, most secure and reliable WordPress service”.  For customers that know very little about web hosting or WordPress, we actually think they are really heading in the right direction with this.  Some of the features:

• Temporary Domain Setup – No need to wait until you have chosen your domain name, or wait for propagation (can take 24-48 hours after purchasing a domain).  You can easily get up and running as soon as you have signed up.
  • Nightly backups – This is one of the things that we like.  Many companies charge extra to keep 30 days worth of backups (most tend to keep either one day (including their cPanel hosting) or 3 or 4 days at most).  For the moment, you have to contact support to restore to a previous date, but they will be introducing the option within the admin panel to easily restore your site yourself from a choice of the last 30 days.  We are impressed.
  • Caching & Performance Tuning – They take all the responsibility for making your site faster, so you don’t have to mess around with installing and configuring caching plugins.
  • Dangerous Plugin Protection
  • Automatic Core Updates
  • Database Access
  • Secure FTP (sFTP)
  • Malware Scanning – this, along with the 30 days worth of backups makes it super easy to revert any issues from Malware.

What is GoDaddy doing differently?

• All-SSD storage, Cache & Database – This is nice to see, although an increasing number of companies are also doing this now.
  • Customer Driven Agile Development – responding to customer feedback is essential.
  • 24×7 phone support – GoDaddy is very weighted towards phone support which is great, but the lack of online chat, and fast ticket support is unfortunate.
  • Affordable Pricing – Not the cheapest hosting, but certainly for Managed WordPress hosting the features are incredibly impressive for the price.  Pricing is extremely competitive.
  • Localization in Spanish & Portuguese – A nice touch to have all the WordPress admin in the native language.
  • Quick Setup – One of our favorite things about GoDaddy WordPress hosting.  The idea is that it is so much easier to edit a site that has all the things pre-setup such as plugins and theme rather than start from scratch with a  blank WordPress install.
  • Multilingual phone support
  • One-click migrator – One of the most annoying things is having to migrate a WordPress site that doesn’t have cPanel installed.  More hosting providers should take GoDaddy’s example and offer a free migration of WordPress regardless of which control panel the host uses.  Essentially, GoDaddy have simplified the process by installing a plugin on your site, and using that to copy your site onto their hosting via a temporary domain.  Of course, these type of plugins have been around for a while (such as Backupbuddy), but GoDaddy does all the database creation and uploading of files so you don’t have to think about a thing.  Very impressive.

Whats on the Roadmap?

• SSL support – Ouch… this is a must and should be available already.
  • WP-CLI integration – great little command line tool for developers.
  • GIT integration – again another essential feature for the more serious developer.
  • Easy site restoration – this relates to the backup restore functionality.  This will be a great feature to have automated.
  • CDN inclusion – Not much was said about this.  This could be referring to one-click setup for something like Cloudflare, which would be nice.
  • Site Staging – This is the ultimate development tool for the non-developer.  We use a form of this ourselves (via the plugin “site push”), as well as on other sites with the SiteGround Staging.  If anything, we would recommend GoDaddy check out the functionality of the “Sitepush” plugin when they consider what functionality they will be incorporating.
  • Management of multiple sites – This is becoming more and more important.  There are some monthly priced services out there that offer the management of multiple sites, but to be honest we think they are overpriced.  You can pick up a plugin like “MainWP” very cheaply, that is one off.  Let’s just hope their promotion of this feature doesn’t involve a subscription to something like ManageWP.

Viewers Questions

At the end of the Hangout, a few useful questions were asked relating to the editor functionality in WordPress that had been turned off.  GoDaddy have done this to prevent people unintentionally changing files they shouldn’t.  Of course GoDaddy mentioned it is easy to reactivate, and they would even do this for you if you contact them.  We are in mixed minds about this.  We definitely would want it activated, but we can see where they are coming from.

Jim Bowen: – While I like the fast set up, the security, etc., I’ve lost the ability to edit my theme files through WordPress. This feature is now gone  /wp-admin/theme-editor.php  and I now have to use a separate FTP client.”

Cathy Larkin – Curious about  what +Jim Bowen said – I usually edit via child themes, but I think I would want the file editor to be on – option to turn it off. FTP is a pain. Maybe, you can have an easy to access on/off switch, rather than having to FTP to turn it on.

GoDaddy even followed this up via their Twitter asking for feedback on this, which shows a great willingness on their part to provide a product that people want.

Some more Questions:

If I have purchased the new WP hosting, and it’s engaged, will I notice speed improvement quickly?

GoDaddy responded that the speed improvements will be activated immediately.  Caching will work straight away.

When will the WordPress hosting be available on reseller plans?

GoDaddy is working on reseller packages so keep an eye out.

Final Thoughts

From being a hosting provider that we were not particularly keen on last year, we have a whole new view of them.  They are quickly becoming one of our favorite hosts for “newbies”, and even then have some features that are looking great for even the more advanced user.  Indeed, we will be keeping a close eye on them as their new management teams continue to turn things around.

1. Reply Felix Gorodishter January 21, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for the writeup. If any readers here have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

• Reply Wayne March 26, 2015 at 7:45 am

Hi Felix
      I would love to use GoDaddy managed wordpress but it just doesn’t work, I have a number of sites on GoDaddy Linux and they will not migrate. The support staff have been great, my partner is complaining that I spend more time speaking to GoDaddy than I do with her, I get on the phone to support every night and some mornings and we just can’t get it to work. About to ask for my money back and unfortunately going somewhere else.

• Reply Marcus January 23, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Is the 30 days backup a premium addon, or as part of the basic package, even on the cheapest plan?

• Reply Felix Gorodishter January 25, 2014 at 2:04 am

@Marcus We are currently providing 30 days of backups as part of all of the packages. We are building the restore into a UI but if you need one done before that feature is out just contact us and we’ll happily take care of it for you.

• Reply Jonathan January 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Wow, I am loving the quick setup. My new wishlist is for reseller account features, and the ability to upload my own themes to work with the Quick Setup. Any chance this is on the Roadmap?

• Reply Felix Gorodishter January 21, 2014 at 10:46 pm

We are definitely looking to expand our Quick Setup plugin. I don’t have any details around that expansion, but I’d be interested in any feedback you have around what you would like to see incorporated.

2. Reply Colby - GoDaddy Social Media January 21, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for writing up this article Jonathan. Did you get or want a trial of the Managed WordPress Hosting to try it out hands on? ^Colby

• Reply CP January 24, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Can anyone request a free trial? I’ve never used wordpress. Called GoDaddy today to see if there was somewhere I could take a look at the dashboard, but does not seem like there is. I’d like to see what it looks like before I purchase. See if this is something I could easily use. I am still maintaining my website the old fashion way, which takes too long. I have been looking into wordpress for years and have been a GoDaddy for MANY years, so this seems like the perfect thing for me at the perfect time! Please advise.

• Reply Jonathan January 24, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I am not sure you can get a free trial, but it does come with a money back guarantee I believe (not that I suspect you will use it):

Cancellations before 30 days. If you cancel the Services within thirty (30) calendar days of purchase, you will receive an in store credit refund of all fees paid, less the one year cost of registration of any domain name registered as part of a free domain name promotion, at the then current value.

In addition, I have got the new wordpress hosting, and my first impressions are really good. I will be doing a review hopefully to be published by the end of next week, and that will include many screenshots of all aspects of it.

The quick setup looks really good, especially for the business themes. I think I had a site up and running on my initial test within about 10 minutes. You can easily try all the different themes too.

If you are not familiar with WordPress, then GoDaddy is definitely the most newbie friendly host I know, and a great place to start.

• CP January 24, 2014 at 6:44 pm

THANK YOU for the info!!! That in itself makes it easy to decide that it is worth giving it a try. For years I have sat down numerous times to read how WordPress works using my regular hosting, but then just ended up feeling dizzy and gave up! I was set on giving it a try come the new year and I guess I had PERFECT TIMING with the new launch of the managed WordPress and great pricing through GoDaddy! … I am thinking this is going to make my life SO MUCH EASIER!

I am glad I came across your site! I will be patiently waiting for your review!

• Colby Villa June 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

CP, Did you manage to test out the product? Would love to hear what you think! ^Colby

• Reply Jonathan January 21, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I responded by email to the email address you made the comment with.

Many thanks.

• Reply Colby - GoDaddy Social Media January 21, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Got the email and sent it to my hosting product manager. We will get you all set up with a trial 🙂 ^Colby

• Jonathan January 21, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Its all setup. Thank you very much. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

• Colby - GoDaddy Social Media January 21, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Glad to hear it, any issues feel free to reach out to me directly.

• Jonathan January 21, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Great. Much appreciated… Thanks!

• Colby - GoDaddy Social Media January 21, 2014 at 9:42 pm

No problem, it is now in your cart. Can you please check out for us? Let me know when you have so I can confirm you got the trial. Thanks. – Colby