Our Hostmonster Shared Hosting Review
We do like Hostmonster, as the company behind it knows what it is doing. They have been around since 1996, and while originally they just concentrated on Shared Hosting, now offer VPS and Dedicated plans. Their Sister Company is BlueHost, who are the recommended Hosting provider at WordPress.com, although this is likely to be a result of some marketing tie up rather than anything else. The same support and management team also run Bluehost and Justhost, so there is nothing to choose between them, except price. Like Bluehost and Justhost, they also offer a Pro Shared hosting plan that uses higher end services and enhanced security, which may interest some people.
While we have only provided a very brief review of their hosting, it is worth checking out the Hostmonster Reviews left by our readers at the end of this article.
Shared Hosting Plans
Hostmonster offer mostly unlimited hosting plans, with just a few variations between them, notably if you want a dedicated IP and SSL then you will need their Business Pro plan. Their Plus plan includes a Global CDN and SpamExperts (great for stopping spam emails) for one email. The Business Pro Plan includes domain privacy, two spam experts dedicated IP as well as SiteBackup Pro and more resources (high performance).
It should be noted that no host is “truly” unlimited, and there are limitations contained in their terms and conditions stating that the disk usage may only be used for web files, active email, and website content. They will also monitor for excessive use of CPU and other resources, and as you can imagine the definition of this is a little ambiguous.
|Business Pro||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Yes||Yes + Ded. IP||$14.49|
- Integrated Cloudflare – We are a big fan of Cloudflare. You can see a detailed tutorial on how to integrate this with WordPress alongside W3 Total cache here.
- Great Upgrade Path – With the recent addition of its Pro, VPS, and dedicated plans there is an excellent upgrade path available. In fact, it has one of the cheapest upgrade paths available, with their Pro plan (supercharged WordPress Hosting), and very affordable VPS plans.
- cPanel – While they use cPanel with their web hosting, it has been customized to remove the standard backup functionality. The cPanel Control Panel is very easy to use and offers a wide variety of tools and features to enhance your experience. Some features include mail management, file management, database management, and domain management just to list a few. We particularly like cPanel as many hosts will offer free migration if you use this.
- Free Weebly Sitebuilder – They advertise a free Weebly Sitebuilder, although this is subject to restrictions, such as six pages among. For a full functionality, you will have to pay $8.99 pm or $2.99 for E-commerce. Weebly is activated from the cPanel.
- Sitelock – They offer a limited version of Sitelock for just $1.99 per month that only includes the scanning component. This is good value.
- Search Engine Jump Start – for just $1.25 per month which we believe includes an SEO E-Book and some SEO Tools. The company behind it is run by the parent company EIG, and they offer a broad range of more expensive SEO services. We suspect if you purchase this they will try to upsell other services.
- No Monthly payment option -You have to pay for a year upfront. Not good if you like to have a monthly payment option, even if paying monthly can be quite expensive anywhere. For best savings you are recommended to pay for at least a year.
- 3 Year Signup period required for the best deal – It is quite a commitment to get the best deal as you need to sign up for an extended period. Fortunately, they are one of the few companies that are a safe bet when it comes to knowing they will be around and still giving a great service in 3 years time. Also, they have an anytime money back guarantee. If you cancel after the first 30 days (full refund within 30 days) they will refund the remainder of the hosting fees as a credit to your account.
- A customized version of cPanel – Because they use a highly customized version of cPanel, you will not be able to transfer your cPanel to another host. Your website will have to be moved manually.
Our Hostmonster Review Verdict
Did you know that Justhost is run by the same company, has the same support and management team and has, all the same, features at a vastly reduced price? See our Justhost Review to see what they had to say when we queried it with them. Ultimately if you like what you see here, then we recommend going with their cheaper and same sister company Justhost.
As for Hostmonster, there has been quite a few grumbling recently of slower tech support. It seems their ticket support is having trouble keeping up with demand, and, therefore, we would not recommend them at this time. When we found out about all the issues we signed up with Hostgator (another sister company using the same support team) to test, and it took them over a week to respond to a support ticket. We wrote a little about this in our Hostgator review.
That being said, their Live Chat and telephone support is run by a different team and seem to be fairly decent.