Our Hostnine Review
Hostnine shares the same same management, servers and support team as their sister company A Small Orange. Both these companies really are a hidden gem, in that they offer affordability whilst providing exceptional service, which is why you will find this Hostnine Review very positive. Whilst Hostnine has had a few minor downtime issues at the beginning of 2014, the last 5-6 months (as at September 2014) have offered near perfect uptime making them more reliable than most.
Although their support has slightly slower response times (15-30 minutes, rather than a couple of minutes) than our favorite shared host, SiteGround, we have found the help and assistance offered by Hostnine exceptional, and in some cases far better. We typically tend to be quite demanding of the support due to some of the complex projects we tend to undertake, and Hostnine are always willing to help \ do migrations and generally go above and beyond what we expect. This is one of the main points reflected in the User based Hostnine Reviews in the comments below.
Hostnine Reviews – Summary
What we like about Hostnine
- Great Support – One of the main things we like about them is their excellent support – we really cannot stress this enough!. We host this site with Hostnine, as well as many others, and have always found them to go to great lengths to help with things, even if technically it is not their responsibility to do so (i.e. help with .htaccess redirects), third party SSL installation etc. Truly, this is where Hostnine really shine.
- Telephone Support – If you live in the US, you can get support during office hours during the week by telephone.
- Great Price – Hostnine’s entry price level on their shared hosting for the features, support and reliablity is hard to beat. Of course there are some other good companies around, and whilst they can be relatively competitive on price for the initial sign-up period when using our coupons, their renewal price cannot really compete with Hostnine.
- Extremely Reliable – We have found Hostnine to be extremely reliable, with ourselves experiencing a 100% uptime over the last 5/6 months (as at September 2014).
- CPanel – Hostnine use the standard cPanel. We always recommend going with a host that uses cPanel, as it is extremely easy to move hosts should you ever need to. In fact, many hosts will move your site for you if you use cPanel.
- Softaculous installer – This is our preferred installer and makes it very simple to install WordPress, Joomla as well as hundreds of other scripts. For WordPress it also includes rolling backup functionality for your site.
- 45 day money back guarantee – Whilst not the longest money back period, 45 days should be more than enough to decide whether Hostnine is for you.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee – Whilst we have never needed to claim on this guarantee, they will give you one day of credit for each hour of downtime should you qualify.
- Great Upgrade Path – Another great thing is the ability to upgrade to some extremely well priced VPS servers should you need to. Although, to be honest we use some pretty CPU intensive WordPress plugins on some of the sites we manage, and have never received notification that we are using too many resources (unlike some other hosts we have used who may just switch off your site without warning).
What we don’t like about Hostnine
- No choice of server location for Basic plan – This is not really a negative, but you should be aware that their basic shared hosting plan does not give a choice of server location. Whilst this is not a problem if you live in the US, if you live in the UK, or Europe you will need their “Business Plan”, which costs a couple of dollars a month more.
Hostnine Review – The Different Plans
We have highlighted the main differences between the various Hostnine Shared Hosting Plans. The Prices are based on paying for 3 years with our standard Hostnine Coupon. Check our Hostnine Coupons page for the latest coupons, as we do get notified of exclusive discounts from time to time.
|No. of Domains||1||100||100|
|Server Locations||US||US, UK, SG, NL||US, UK, SG, NL|
|Dedicated IP||+$2 /month||+$2 /month||Included|
|SSL Certificate||+ $39.95 /year||+ $39.95 /year||Included|
|Price PM (3 years) (with 15% Coupon)||$2.08||$4.21||$6.33|
All the shared hosting plans feature state of the art data protection and backup, with Raid-1/10 protected local storage (Mirrored storage), as well as being backed up to remote servers using R1Soft. In addition, Hostnine features the following amongst many other features:
- SSH Access (requires a static IP)
- Softaculous Script Installer
- Ruby on Rails
- Zend & Ioncube
Hostnine Reviews – Final Thoughts
The bad things we had to say are very minor issues, and in most cases not even relevant. Certainly, we would highly recommend them for your hosting needs particularly due to the excellent support, and the pricing levels of the different plans. Not only that, but there is an excellent upgrade path to their VPS or dedicated servers (we host this site, along with several others, on their VPS).
Reliability is extremely good, and we have experienced no downtime on the shared hosting accounts we run, and indeed this has been confirmed by several of our readers in the Hostnine Reviews they have left.
For all these reasons we recommend using Hostnine Hosting for shared hosting, but you will see from our other Hostnine reviews that they are our top host for Reseller and VPS hosting.
Also, don’t forget to check out the User based Hostnine Reviews in the comments below.