Dreamhost have produced a rather neat infographic which gives some rather cool information about why you should start your own blog, along with some tips on how to get it all started. This got us thinking about all the reasons why you should start a blog, so we dug a little deeper and decided to flesh out the infographic with some more data and viewpoints.
The Benefits of Blogging
- Improves Search Engine Rankings – As well as increasing web traffic by adding more pages in the search, blogging does so much more to increase your Google rankings. One of the main SEO factors Google takes into account is backlinks. To get backlinks, according to Google you need to create great content that people wish to share and link back to. The problem with most sites, whether it be product pages, or fairly boring informational pages related to your company is that people don’t really want or need to link back to them. The great thing about a blog, is that you can create fantastic interesting articles whose sole purpose is to generate an interest and be shared \ linked back to. You can then link these blog articles to other areas of your site so that they filter through some of the “link juice” to the pages that you are actually trying to rank. Moz has a list of 4 ways you can use a blog for your link building strategy:
- Get your customers to link to you
- Build a company blog; make it valuable, informative and entertaining
- Create viral content that inspires sharing and natural linking
- Be newsworthy
- Makes money – whether by affiliate marketing, adverts or by nurturing leads for your company, blogging by its very nature can make you money.
- Provides easy and cost effective communications to your audience – Blogs are a great way to write about new things going on in your company. Combined with a mailing list or other strategy this is a great way to keep your users or customers up to date at minimal expense.
- Builds an online community – Some businesses or groups aim to build an online community. With blogging this is easy, as you can post frequent updates, discussion points and by allowing comments \ reviews \ feedback you can instigate real discussions that over time build an effective online community.
- Enhances credibility – A blog is a great indicator for a company that something is happening. Whether you talk about new things in your company, or just demonstrate your expertise with case studies and other articles. It tells the public that you are active, you are busy, and that stuff is happening.
- Increases web traffic – Have you heard the phrase “if you build it, they will come”? Well, the more pages of good quality content on topics related topics to your niche you have, the more pages of content you will have listed by Google and other search engines. Just take Mike Ernesen, who wrote an interesting article about is takeaways from increasing his traffic from blogging by 800%!
You can see some quite interesting statistics in the infographic below, but we thought we would take the time to post some interesting points from the October 2013 Hubspot Marketing Benchmarks survey:
- Companies with 51 to 100 pages generate 48% more traffic than companies with 1 to 50 pages
- Companies with over 50 employees and 1000 plus pages see 9.5 times more traffic than companies with under 51 pages
- Both Business to Business and Business to Consumer companies with 101 to 200 pages generate 2.5 times more leads than those with 50 or fewer pages
- Companies see a 55% increase in leads when they increase the number of landing pages from 10 to 15
- Most companies to not see an increase in leads when increasing their total number of landing pages from 1-5 to 6-10
- Companies that blog 15 or more times per month get 5 times more traffic than companies that don’t blog
- Small businesses (1-10 employees) tend to see the biggest gains in traffic when they post more articles
- Companies that increase blogging from 3-5 times per month to 6-8 times per month almost DOUBLE their leads
- Business to business companies that blog only 1-2 times per month generate 70% more leads than those who do not blog.
- An average company will see a 45% growth in traffic when increasing total blog articles from 11-20 to 21-50.
- Business to consumer companies see a 59% increase in traffic after growing total blog articles from 100 to 200 total.
- The average company with 100 or more total blog articles is more likely to experience continued lead growth
- Companies with over 200 blog articles have 5 times the leads than those with 10 or fewer
The infographic below further covers some Tips to Start Your Own Blog:
Step 1 – Choose a subject to blog about
Step 2 – Choose a blog name and purchase domain. Setup hosting.
Step 3 – Install a blogging platform
Step 4 – Create content for your blog
Step 5 – Maintain a regular posting schedule to your blog
Step 6 – Post your blog articles to social media and develop a social media presence
Step 7 – Generate revenue from your blog or market your product \ cause
Anyway, you can find the great infographic by Dreamhost below: