Prestashop Vs Magento Vs Opencart Infographic

prestashop-vs-magento-vs-opencart-infographicWhilst the data is around 6 months old, the information revealed by this infographic is really quite interesting with it containing a very useful comparison of the various features, and number of extensions plugins, among other things.   The infographic was created by Boney Pandya for Web Net Hosting and we applaud him for doing such a great job.

The infographic reveals that the Magento is getting left behind in terms of ease of use, so it remains to be seen whether they will remain as popular in the future.

Furthermore, they are not the only solutions, and things like Woo-commerce for WordPress is one of our favorites due to ease of use and the many themes that have Woo-commerce functionality built in.  However, for dedicated solutions, Magento is one of the most powerful, and well known, but as the infographic shows, Prestashop and Opencart are gaining traction. Opencart is said to be particularly easy to use.  Other E-commerce systems you should be aware of are Zen Cart and OsCommerce, but the infographic does not cover these unfortunately.

Due to the popularity of this article, we thought we would briefly talk about each one in turn.

Prestashop is a free solution that enables you to build your store either on the Prestashop Cloud, or via download to setup on your own hosting.  If you like to play around with the source code you will need to use the self-hosted version.  Whilst free, it would appear that Prestashop make their money via the many addons in their Marketplace, and some of these addons are quite pricey (i.e. SEO expert £134.99,  Gift Card £79,99).

Signing up for a free Prestashop store is very easy, especially if you use their Cloud (although we recommend using a self hosting version (easily installed via Softaculous) so you can take greater control over your store, including ensuring you have your own backups etc).  Simply click sign up, and fill in a few details on the simple signup page:

Create your online store with PrestaShop

Click the “Start My Online Store Button” and fill in a few additional details and you will be setup in less than a minute (it took us about 30 seconds).

Now what we like about Prestashop is that within minutes you have a fully set up store that looks absolutely gorgious.  It is always easier to alter an existing store rather than design and make a store yourself.  What do you think of the store that was created after less than a minute of configuration?:

best host news prestashop store

Of course, for a very reasonable sum (£74.99) you have many other great templates to choose from.

The admin area is equally as good, and very simple to use.  Not only that, but the dashboard looks great with much intuitive information readily displayed:

prestashop admin area

For ease of use, and stunning design we would have to give this a huge thumbs up.  Also, don’t rush to buy a template… about 15 minutes after we signed up we were sent a 15% discount coupon, so you might want to wait for that.

If you are not an expert on websites, hosting or e-commerce you may feel a little lost when you visit the Magento Website.  There are two editions, the Enterprise Edition and the Community Edition.  The easiest way to test out the free edition is by installing it via Softaculous.  It took us about 3 minutes to install a base version that looks like this:

magento default version

As you can see, the basic install is in fact extremely basic and you would need to put in significant work and even get a designer to make this into something special that would attract customers to actually buy.  The admin area is similarly basic:

Dashboard _ Magento Admin

Of course, where Magento excels is the power to handle large amounts of traffic, as well as large numbers of products.  We would guess that those companies would be more than capable of affording a development team that would make something stunning out of Magento, and indeed would probably use the Enterprise edition anyway.

Having just seen the Prestashop default site and admin area… we would not be choosing Magento unless we had to for technical reasons.  There are some very good discussions if you go through all the comments (check out all the comment pages), including many references to Magento being slow, or requiring much more high end infrastructure (although this could be due to the nature of the types of shops using Magento… i.e. larger stores).

Opencart is one that is fairly well thought of in the comments, and many seem to be raving about it. Despite the less visually pleasing demo compared to Prestashop (we will come to that in a minute) it should probably be given much weight when choosing which E-commerce platform to go with.

You can demo Opencart here.  You will see a choice to view the Store Front, and the Admin Area.  We would say that the demo is a little dated and simplistic in design, but you can find many premium themes to choose from, so you shouldn’t let this worry you.

The admin area looks pretty good with a modern interface giving a good summary of all the latest orders and other sales analytics.  Looking at the admin area more closely, it looks easy to manage all the products and something we could easily see ourselves using when managing a store.  There are many extensions to choose from, similar to Prestashop.  You can see a screenshot of the admin area below:

Dashboard opencart

As to what we think of the Prestashop vs Opencart debate… we think it would be hard to make an informed opinion as we don’t have extensive experience with these platforms.  However, based on the comments below we think both are good solutions.  Certainly if we were a small company just starting out we don’t think we would choose Magento and it would take someone with much more experience than us to comment on Magento more generally.  Certainly we preferr the themes available to Prestashop more than Opencart as it gives a slightly more modern feel.

Therefore, we cannot give you any clear recommendations on which way to go.  E-Commerce systems can be quite complicated and we suggest you try out each of them via a Softaculous installation and see which one you prefer.  Equally check out the comments below which give some great insights.

Other Choices

We would add that various other companies are providing services allowing you to easily create your online store, such as Shopify, but also new cheaper (but untested) entries into the market include firms such as GoDaddy.

We have had many passionate views being left in the comments, some with some quite detailed information so feel free to check out the comments below (plus previous comment pages).

Anyway, here is the infographic that we discussed at the start:

1. Reply Grey May 5, 2016 at 1:52 am

I recently converted our store from an antiquated shopping cart to Magento. If you want the most power and customization options (themes, extensions, etc) then go with Magento. It can be a bear to install and configure, and if you use a lot of extensions you’re going to run into conflicts. But the developers I have worked with are very good at resolving problems quickly.

Magento is also a memory hog and hits the database really hard. When we went live it buried our server, a dedicated VPS with two cores and 4 GB of memory. We upgraded to an 8 core server with 32 GB of memory and Magento is very happy. We do have a pretty large store, over 4,000 products. Smaller stores probably won’t need that much power.

I’ve heard that Magento 2 running on PHP 7 is awesome, but having just finished our conversion this year I probably won’t be looking at moving to M2 for a couple of years.

2. Reply Mummy Ninja April 9, 2016 at 7:50 am

For me, Magento is still the very best out there. Almost all complex e-commerce features are built-in to Magento out of the box. 🙂

3. Reply rahul March 6, 2016 at 6:07 am

i tried them all, magento, prestashop, opencart, abantecart, arastta, cubecart.
    and as per me Abantecart is best very easy and i really make a beautiful website free of cost.
    but i found no indian payment gateway extension that’s why i switched to arastta.

• Reply Jonathan Griffin March 6, 2016 at 11:19 am

Thanks. I am sure my readers will appreciate your mention of some of the lesser known solutions.

4. Reply Jeffy February 27, 2016 at 4:43 am

I’ve been using Opencart, but I keep hearing more and more about people getting ripped off for buying defective plugins and Opencart isn’t honoring refunds. Instead I have read, they restrict your account if you dispute it and then drag their feet when you try to get your money.
    I have tried a few of the paid plugins and they were so-so. I have had a few of the free ones that were defective. I keep hearing more and more how poorly the Opencart people treat the Customer/users, so I am shopping for a new program without the drama! There’s so many stories about the developer Daniel Kerr flipping out on people for asking questions about the program. Some of them are quite funny! Sounds like the developers are a bunch of kids who throw fits when ever anyone questions them! Too funny!

5. Reply Prasad February 14, 2016 at 5:38 am

I had a store in WooCommerce, and the SEO sucks.. like literally it sucks. The website was live for around 7-8 months and was not even in the first 10 pages of Google. So I decided to move to OpenCart. In 2 months the site ranked on first page of Google and was literally sucking up visitors from my competitors. I love Opencart. Still using the base theme, but it still rocks.

• Reply Anil Mehan May 11, 2016 at 5:08 am

Hi Prasad

I have deployed opencart on IIS (window server). Does the SEO works on IIS or do I need to make any changed

Please advise

Thanks and Best Regards,
      Anil Mehan

6. Reply hamid February 2, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I do agree with all buddies. Opencart is the best.
    Magento is a huge useless tool.
    instead opencart is simple, easy and very applicable.

7. Reply Dathird Ini January 10, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Someday, Open Cart will lead the way! OC Rocks!!!
    -dathird Ini

8. Reply June November 20, 2015 at 8:40 am

Nice. For me, Magento is the best.

9. Reply Noman Khan November 18, 2015 at 10:40 am

If you looking quick, fast, user friendly solution, then use OpenCart.
    It’s very light weight opensourse other than you can easily customize it while Magento is a headache in case of customization.

10. Reply Jayant November 3, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Opencart is shown as a less power full platform !! but in my opinion …. the opencart community is awesome ….. because you will find everything on the site only ….. moreover there are free extensions as well so … I’m encouraging it … although I work on opencart only …. yeah there are a lot of bugs I have faced personally … but beginners its wonderful experience …. moreover … the latest version is cool …

11. Reply Srp October 17, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Does open cart has inbuilt caching machanism. i am using woocommerce now which is very slow

12. Reply fajar siagian August 25, 2015 at 9:23 am

exactly i think opencart easy to use cause admin panel i ilke it when try it
    fo opencart, it’s very awesome in the frontend side

i just find ecommerce that can handle transaction and easy to use

• Reply Haryanto June 29, 2016 at 3:43 am

Have you use any Indonesia payment extension for the transaction and what are they ? Thx.

13. Reply Piotr August 14, 2015 at 10:54 am

Please consider to add one feature more to compare – performance. I have these three shops on my test server. Must say, that from this point OpenCart is the quickies solution, next is Magneto and last is Prestashop. I did tests also by Google Insights. Results are responds to my personal feeling. On my week server ( ;)) only OpenCart has acceptable response time.

• Reply Jonathan August 14, 2015 at 11:15 am

Thanks for the information. I know Magento can be quite resource intensive, and probably needs more specialist hosting (i.e. more RAM). I can recommend Siteground Cloud that has specific caching for this.

For Prestashop and Opencart I suspect it would depend on how many products visitors etc. Unfortunately, I do not have experience with busy sites for those. But any website with little caching and lots of visitors may have problems on shared hosting plans.

14. Reply Sharon August 7, 2015 at 9:12 am

Really good article. In my opinion WooCommerce is the best eCommerce plugin around. We recommend WooCommerce to our clients because of its ease of use and infinite list of features. WooCommerce integrates easily with other extensions and there are thousands of compatible themes to choose from.

Adding products are quite straightforward and WooCommerce pretty much gives you the control of your own site. Overall, WooCommerce is your best bet if you need a very flexible eCommerce platform.

• Reply Jonathan August 14, 2015 at 11:15 am

Yes, I am a big Woocommerce fan also.

15. Reply Enes June 11, 2015 at 11:17 am

Thanks for this useful comparison between those eCommerce solutions. I would like to make an addition to your list:
    We developed a new, fully opensource, free and community-driven eCommerce solution named Arastta which is forked from Opencart but lots of new advanced-features, performance and SEO improvements added on it.

I think it deserves a close look for eCommerce owners:

16. Reply Mike June 10, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I have used Miva Merchant since 2007 on a shared hosted site. That platform will no longer be supported. I’m looking at moving to Open Cart OR PrestaShop. Do either of these allow for importation of my MIVA data so my transition would be simplified? That would be a game changer for me as to which I might choose. I have nearly 1,000 products, 5,000 customer accounts, and 14,000 previous sale records I want to move.

17. Reply Faisal June 9, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I have done extensive research on all three of them for about two years. The results are amazing, even though, magento sits at the top, prestashop was developed aggressively to catch up. Prestashop isn’t as far as magento yet but it is the perfect solutions for those who haven’t hit the millions of dollars yet. Very fast, extensible, efficient and odd bugs free.

One point in your business, you will need to leave prestashop as of its currently though! (if you hit the millions as I said) but before developing your own solution, take a ride with magento? it might save you a lot of money.

For open cart, say what? developed by amateurs and is a total crap if you are a programmer and really know what I mean.

Good luck and happy selling.

• Reply Jonathan June 10, 2015 at 11:50 am

Thanks for the feedback. Could you possibly elaborate on your opinions of Open Cart? We are sure our readers would appreciate it.

18. Reply Isabella May 7, 2015 at 7:20 am

Nice comparison.I think Magento is the best choice especially for the companies who need a professional online shop presence.

• Reply Jonathan June 10, 2015 at 11:53 am

Just wondering what makes you believe Magento is better than the other solutions? Your opinion would be gratefully appreciated.

19. Reply Muhammad Ahmad Shabbir April 10, 2015 at 5:46 am

this review is out dated

20. Reply Engine44 April 3, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Do you know if all or any of the three products can be installed as a shopping cart within Weebly? Thanks.

21. Reply Jean E March 26, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Have tried and tried for months with PrestaShop, but in the end gave up. Too many updates meant too many glitches plus unexpected crashes- NOT good with an online store! Also, the extensions/mods are rather expensive.

So… moved to OpenCart, and what a relief! Rock steady and FAST platform, same ease of use as PrestaShop but OpenCart is easier to tweak templates etc to get EXACTLY the look you want.

My vote: PrestaShop 7/10, OpenCart 10/10.

22. Reply Alex Uria February 24, 2015 at 5:44 pm

As a web developer and running a small web development company in San Diego I’m experienced using some of these ECommerce tools, OpenCart and Woocomerce in WordPress are my two favorite ones, but if I want to have less headaches and customize things with more detail and take advantage of some great plugins I would go for Woocommerce always.

Alex Uria

23. Reply Alex February 6, 2015 at 12:30 am

Nice article and infographic guys, but number of Magento extensions isn’t correct, they had over 6000 2 years ago, so it should be much more now
    Prooflink –

• Reply Jonathan Griffin February 6, 2015 at 8:56 am

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. We will have to look into finding some updated figures.

24. Reply Rabbitdigital Design January 5, 2015 at 10:59 pm

nice work folks, good post. One of the best things about OpenCart for me has got to be its speed on standard hosting!

25. Reply Leo November 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Magento sucks! Expensive, less friendly and a really pain in… OC works absolutely fine managing many products, and like StephenB says… most modules (extensions) works with vqmod, that makes them work without touching any code. My vote so far goes to OC. Im trying PS right now and who knows, maybe my vote takes other direction.

• Reply jan November 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm

and how do you like prestashop ?

presta suck to i think

26. Reply Mohammed Atif October 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I am currently operating an ecommerce website with over 100k SKUs empowered by Magento, and the slowness surely is a big issue, not to mention the hunger for high end infra. Starting a new website, and would love to know if Prestashop has the same Infra hungry nature?

27. Reply Andre October 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

Hi, I just finished a site with Prestashop 1..6.0.9 and my vote will go with Prestashop, but als done sites with Opencart. When it comes to buying modules, Opencart is more cost effective. I wonder with version 2.0 what my verdict will be?

28. Reply sulphur August 31, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I hate MAGENTO, worst choice for development, my vote goes to Prestashop

29. Reply Mrs Fields July 7, 2014 at 9:30 am

Absolutely Opencart is a great solutions for E commerce business owner especially if you are just starting your small online business your budget is safe but the quality and functions Opencart offer are absolutely superb.

30. Reply Mostafa Ghanbari July 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm

i HATE Magento! it’s the worst Software for developing! a small change in magento could be a HUGE headache! poor documentation, and extremely complicated Source make Magento The Worst Nightmare anyone could have!!

31. Reply Richard June 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I heavily researched this and almost chose OpenCart, but then so an obvious problem with it. It has only one primary coder, and while he’s no doubt talented, he’s a man who goes crazy at other coders in the project and even end users who have feedback he doesn’t like. His rudeness really turned me off, and it does not bode well for the future of that code. Burning bridges left and right is not a good way to do business.

The question has also been made considerably harder with the introduction of PrestaShop 1.6. 1.5 I could take or leave, but the new version is extremely powerful and nicely refined. They now have a 50+ person team working on the core, and seem dedicated to professionalism but also good UX.

My guess, as I’ve been working at tech quite a long time, is that OpenCart will implode if the coder keeps having a tizzy at innocent people, whilst the Magento vs Presta question will be like Drupal vs Joomla.

Drupal was initially far more powerful, but the friendliness of Joomla caused more mass adoption ultimately. The Magento team also has internal problems delaying meaningful updates and redesigns. If Magento doesn’t get on the ball with updates and releases (version 2 was supposed to out in 2012, and is now delayed almost indefinitely according), PrestaShop will likely start overtaking Magento in several years much like Joomla did.

If I needed to work on a MAJOR project right now with lots of team members, I’d still likely chose Magento. But with the knowledge that we may need to switch platforms in a few years should Magento continue towards entropy.

If I was going to start a project as a solopreneur or a very small team and ease of use and speed of implementation was important, I’d go with the new PrestaShop. Starting with 1.6, it’s really dazzling, and the professionalism and solid team seem to have the intent to keep it going for quite some time.

OpenCart I’d only consider if the lead programmer calms down, maybe takes up meditation or something, and starts seeing other people as human beings with often valid thoughts and feelings. He’s a talented chap, but that untoward behaviour, my gosh… it has no place in business. Maybe a cup of magnesium a day would help. If he has a change of heart, I would consider it still a valid option. A lot of people complain about the code, but it does work nicely and is accessible to newbie coders.

Incidentally, that’s probably where OpenCart shines the most… for people just learning to code, or for those who want to make changes to their stores themselves with minimal coding experience.

But if you’re going to focus solely on running a store and are going to hire on help, I’d go with Magento or Presta instead. Or even a nice hosted option. 3dcart has become an incredible piece of kit with time, and there’s now lower cost competitors to high end carts like DemandWare, such as Shopping Cart Elite. That’s such a ridiculous name, I know, but it appears to be legitimate and well thought out. I’ve just got to wonder how well they fulfill their promises.

• Reply William August 9, 2014 at 9:49 am

Richard, as Drupal third party contributor I agree with you. OC is great but not powerful to extend, For example, let say people want to add a Watermark, this is common use for Online Shop, right?

With OC, you must alter the original code! While Drupal and others can doing Watermark without alter their CORE code!

Again, I agree you going to Presta or Magento for professional Online Shop.

• Reply StephenB September 30, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Totally incorrect. If you want to add functionality to Opencart without touching the core files then you can use the vqmod extension system which uses xml files to o read time parsing and code modification.

32. Reply I'm NOt eBay May 24, 2014 at 7:52 am

I’m not looking at making the next eBay.
    (And I’ll post a bit more effort than saying Prestashop is best)

So for me, after testing all 3 on a test host, I’m going with Prestashop.

Easy, Functional, Cost, and online information.

Easy – As this review indicates Prestashop or OpenCart win!

Functional –
    Although Magento works fine, with lots of options, it just takes to much effort to get the ball rolling.
    Opencart has some limitations that have been lingering for to long.
    PrestaShop, is functioning well and stable..

Cost –
    Addons (or plugins) for OpenCart are mostly affordable, but with some limiting functions out of the box.. why pay for an addon to fix a missing functionality. – next –
    Prestashop may be only slightly more expensive for some addons, but you may not need any – cha-ching savings that can go to promoting, advertising, etc.

All three have good source of information online. Opencart felt a little .. lack of expertise. Magento very good support (paid too) and PrestaShop a good mix of both, feeling not to agricultural and not to SiFi .just on the Goldilocks zone where is just right.

Thanks for the review, my vote goes to Prestashop.

• Reply Jonathan May 24, 2014 at 9:56 am

Excellent feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your findings.

33. Reply John Eway April 21, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Perhaps opencart is the youngest release of the 3 scripts and it’s still being appreciated.

34. Reply Sean Owens March 24, 2014 at 4:58 pm

try bench marking the 3 products with 100k product and 100k customers. Only 1 product will work. OpenCart.

• Reply Pietro October 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I am writing the procedure to import data on PS (4000 products), using native classes and the slowness gives me some concern. I tried OC, to test the performance: it is the best! I do not know what to do …

35. Reply Profithost March 15, 2014 at 2:58 am