We have been using Rank Ranger to monitor both our own, and our SEO client SERP changes for well over a year now. Not only does it allow us to monitor how well our SEO actions are doing, but it allows us to focus our efforts in the right place for maximum return on our time and money. Now, this article is not intending to provide a Rank Ranger Review (although we have highlighted some of the main features below). What we want to do is showcase their Rank Ranger Risk index which provides a simple easy to read chart showing how much the SERPS have changed over the last 30 days, and best of all it is completely free.
How the Rank Ranger Risk Index Chart Works
The Rank Ranger Risk Index measures SERP fluctuations for over 10,000 domains and keywords that Rank Ranger monitor daily. The chart numbers indicate the change in rankings on any particular date. The higher the risk index, the more movement the SERPs has seen. If you see a red bar, then it is advisable to check your rankings, and perhaps take action as required.
The great thing about this Index, is that by keeping tabs on it, you will be alerted before anyone else that a Google “predator” is on the loose, and are able to react and adapt to any Google Algorithm changes as quickly as possible.
Another thing we would mention, is that the kind of sites monitored by Rank Ranger are more likely to be undertaking in some kind of SEO with an assortment of White Hat and Black Hat methods being used. Because of this, the Index is even more useful to indicate whether Google has changed its algorithm, and how people active in SEO have been hit.
Does a Red Bar mean you will lose rankings
The answer is no. For all those that lose rankings, there will be others that increase rankings. Google refreshes its algorithms periodically, such as Penguin (over-optimization penalty), or Panda (low quality content penalty), and when these are updated it can hit many more of the spammy type sites. Historically, with Best Host News, because we only do White Hat SEO we look forward to the red bars, as it generally indicates to us an increase in rankings.
Rank Ranger WordPress Plugin
Because we like to keep an eye on the Index daily, we have created a little WordPress plugin to embed the Rank Ranger Risk Index onto our WordPress admin dashboard. This means every time you log into WordPress, you will be able to tell at a glance whether any major changes are afoot. You can download the WordPress plugin here. It is a smart uncluttered plugin, that does no more than embed the chart you see above onto your dashboard.
In addition, the plugin adds a widget, which you can then place in one of your widget areas (although you need quite a wide space for it to fit properly). One other useful feature of the plugin is the ability to add the chart into any WordPress post or page by simply adding the shortcode (although don’t add the spaces between the word and brackets):
[ rankrisk ]
A Little More About Rank Ranger
Rank Ranger is in our opinion the most feature rich rank tracking service out there that we know about. Whilst this is not intended to be a full Rank Ranger Review we thought you may be interested in learning a little more about their features, and why we rate them so highly.
- Daily SERP Tracking – Rank Ranger track down to 500 places, far more than most tracking services which usually only track down to 100 or so. With their cheapest plan you can track up to 3 different search engines, whether that be Google in multiple locations (i.e. Google.co.uk & Google.com), but also Bing, Yahoo or even Youtube, Alexa, Baidu and Yandex among others.
- Competitor Tracking – We particularly like tracking the SERPS of our competitors. With Rank Ranger you can track up to 3, to enable you to react or take advantage of particular opportunities.
- Awesome Reporting – Whether you want to build White Label PDF reports, or offer people access to a White Label Portal (we love this for client reporting), Rank Ranger offer the most information rich reporting environment you can image. This is especially so, when you consider their integration with Google Analytics to provide traffic statistics as part of that.
- Google Analytics – Rank Ranger integrates with Google Analytics to provide detailed information about the relationship between your keyword traffic, organic rankings and PPC campaigns. What’s more, this helps you plan your marketing strategies as you are able to create reports that outline your market share for different keywords.
- 3rd Party Integrations – As well as Google Analytics, Rank Ranger can incorporate data from other services such as Google Webmaster Tools, MajesticSEO, Ahrefs and SEOmoz providing an incredible level of detail in the reporting.
Special Deal for Best Host News Readers
We have a special deal arranged with Rank Ranger that will allow you to monitor 50 keywords with 5 campaigns for just $19 a month. We only have 50 “one-use” coupons, so to take advantage of this detail simply send us an email to [email protected] with the subject “Rank Ranger Coupons” and we will reply with instructions, along with the coupon.
Of course, you can also sign up for a free trial here.