Our Hostnine VPS Review
Hostnine offers some of the best value Managed VPS Plans around with their recent pricing structure proving hard to beat. As an example you can now get a 2CPU with 2GB RAM, along with 30GB SSD storage for just $30 per month, $25 per month if you pay yearly. Plus, with our Hostnine Coupons, you can get at least 15% off your first invoice as well. At most other reputable hosting companies you cannot even come close to this value.
But with Hostnine, it is not just about the price. Hostnine have repeatedly demonstrated first class support, and will go above and beyond what most other providers will do, and even if you need something doing over and above their Managed Hosting, their hourly rate for custom support is around $30 per hour, over half what other hosting providers charge. But don’t worry about having to pay extra for support, as they will carry out many tasks for you as part of their Managed support which comes inclusive. We had them setup Nginx as a reverse proxy as well as do things like install third party backup scripts for us.
What we like about Hostnine VPS
- Great Support – One of the main things we like about Hostnine is their excellent support. We host this site with Hostnine, as well as many others, and have always found them to go to great lengths to help with things. As we have mentioned, this site is hosted on their VPS which is fully managed and they were very helpful with setting up custom scripts and giving advise generally when needed.
- Telephone Support – If you live in the US, you can get support during office hours during the week by telephone.
- Great Price – For the support you get, and the fact it is a fully managed plan, Hostnine’s prices are phenomenal.
- Extremely Reliable – Hostnine’s servers are fast, and we have had virtually no downtime on this site. The VPS runs on a redundant cloud setup with automatic fail-over protection.
- High quality servers – The VPS is powered by dual Intel Xeon Hex (6) Core processors at 2.5Ghz w/HyperThreading for a total of 24 CPU Cores per hardware node.
- SSD – In what is now becoming the industry norm for premium VPS plans, Hostnine’s VPS is powered by Solid State Drives in Raid-50 which is up to 136 times faster than standard cloud environments.
- Free Migration – Hostnine will happily help you move your existing VPS over to them, which can save you alot of time an effort.
- Customizable Plans – Whilst you can choose the specifications you need via their slider when you sign up, you can buy additional resources as needed to top up those plans, including priority CPU usage, and additional IOPS. Toggle the Full Features link below for full details, including pricing.
Hostnine VPS Hosting Plans
Hostnine have a whole range of plans (eight) that you can configure by using their slider. In addition, you can buy additional resources for any of those plans, making their VPS hosting extremely configurable. You can see an example of one of their plans below:
Whilst this shows an impressive 4 CPU core setup, you can get 2 CPU cores with 2GB RAM for just $30 per month, or $25 per month if you pay yearly.
Our Recommended Hostnine VPS Configuration
When you sign up for a Hostnine VPS you will need to choose an Operating System Template. Hostnine have dozens of different templates to choose from, including a full Nginx setup if you are comfortable with the command line.
Our recommendation, both for ease and compatability is the CentOS 6.4 x64 cPanel (PHP5.4 MySQL5.5) operating system. Once you are setup, open a ticket to Hostnine Support and ask them to setup Nginx as a Reverse Proxy for you. This will setup caching for your static (and even dynamic (php cache)) assets to increase site speed and performance. You can them manage the Nginx configuration via the command line using “nginxctl”. It is relatively simple to use, and a good guide about it can be found on A Small Orange’s knowledgebase (Sister company to Hostnine). We recommend setting up Nginx to utilize the RAM, as this is much faster by doing “nginxctl -t”. You may want to play around with the settings a little once Nginx is setup.
Our Hostnine VPS Review Verdict
A++ Highly Recommended
Unfortunately we have very little if anything bad to say about Hostnine. Not only is the VPS reliable, but we are extremely pleased with the server response times as well. We run several sites off the same VPS, and our uptime over the last 3 months (as at September 2014) is 100%, although you will need the K Splice addon ($3 pm) if you want the perfect uptime figure (updates to WHM cPanel require a reboot, which can happen 3-4 times a week (this applies to all hosting providers), so if you track your up-time you may find 10-20 seconds of downtime when those reboots occur).
Whilst other hosting providers may charge you more, or restrict what you can modify with your VPS plan, the fact that Hostnine will provide such unparalleled support means that even the novice user can make the most of one of Hostnine’s VPS.
For all these reasons Hostnine is our top recommended VPS host.